Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Au Gratin de Pommes de terre...Uzo Style ;)

I am not sure if I mentioned that I currently live in France now. My husband was transferred here for work and we have been here for about 9 months. So don't ask me to speak french fluently, because you will be not only utterly disappointed but it may ruin your lovely vision of the language. I can write and read better than I speak...the accent is so hard to catch!


Anyway, they have a special dish especially in the south of france called Au gratin. It is a dish which involves your baking vegetables or fish with cheese and spiced bread crumbs. Pommes de terre is french for potatoes...donc (so) this is a recipe for a potato au gratin. I love it because it is so easy to make and absolutely delicious! The kids will eat it off their plates...you can count on it! Try it and let me know what you think!


Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35-45 mins
For four people (2 adults, 2 very hungry kids...! Take note!)
Ingredients
4 large potatoes
1 medium onion
Half of a red pepper
150g of chorizo sausages (Hot, dried sausages)
5 heaped tablespoons of crème fraîche
5 heaped tablespoons of your favorite tomato sauce (in my case, Nigerian stew)
Two pinches of salt
Two pinches of pepper (optional…but Suya pepper preferable)
Two heaped tablespoons of grated cheese (any kind, preferably mozzarella)
Two heaped tablespoons of either spiced or regular bread crumbs
125ml of water

Method
Cut the potatoes into thin slices
Cut or blend or grate the onion
Cut the red pepper into thin strips
Cut the sausages into small cubes
Mix all with the crème fraiche, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and water and pour into an oven dish
Heat oven to 180 C and put in the dish for about 30 mins. Check to ensure the potatoes are done and the mixture will be bubbly at this point. Sprinkle the grated cheese on the top and allow to melt for another 5 mins and then sprinkle the bread crumbs and leave for another 5-7 mins or until brown. Switch off the oven, and serve hot! Delicieux!

Substitute for crème fraîche
(Please note this subsitute takes 12 hours or overnight to prepare. Some people suggest just using very think yoghurt or sour cream but I believe this tends to "curdle" when heated. You can just use thick greek yoghurt if you lack the patience but it is worth it! :))
I understand  crème fraîche would be hard to find anywhere but France...so I found the following subsitute for crème fraîche online and I can't find remember where! If you do, let me know so I can give the author due acknowledgement.
Ingredients
1/2 cup sour creame
1/2 cup whipping cream
OR
1 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons low-fat (not nonfat) buttermilk
Method
Mix your ingredients. Place in glass jar or non-reactive bowl. Cover and let stand 12 hours. After your cream has thickened and fermented, refrigerate and use within 10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment